12 Goals for 2019

Hello, Reader!

In my last post, I shared my tips for successful goal setting so it’s only fair that I show you what my Yearly Goals look like for 2019! Get ready, it’s a long list.

Last year, I wrote down a couple of “New Year’s Resolutions” on a sticky note which I hung up above my desk, intending for it to be a reminder of what I need to focus on. Despite this, I have ignored it up until mid-way through the year when all of those ‘resolutions’ were already outdated and irrelevant. On top of that - I only reached one of them. This year, I’m determined to reach every single one of the goals I have set for myself. This year, I’m hoping that the goals I have set myself will be relevant to my life no matter when I look at them - I made sure that they don’t have an expiration date. (You can see how confident I am in this by the fact that I’m publicly announcing them.)

So here are my “12 Goals for 2019!”



1. Start a blog
What a great start! If you’re reading this, I have achieved this goal already - and so soon! I began writing posts on Instagram near the end of October - so just over two months ago. It started as a way for me to hold myself accountable through my journey of self-improvement, which was in full swing then. Since, I have completed my biggest self-growth project, (a list of truths about failure,) and I use my platform to share my study tips and my enthusiasm for learning. Very soon, I started having to cut down my posts because of the Instagram character limit - I clearly just have way too much to say! That’s when I started plotting this little project in the form of a blog; especially that the next year will be so exciting and I want to share it with you!

2. Master Spanish
This one has been in the works for years. When I began learning Spanish, it was purely for the sake of getting a good grade in my GCSE. Afterwards, I wanted to keep learning it independently but four A-Levels worked their magic and left me with no time to spare for learning a language. I took it up again as soon as my A-Level exams were over and started with a daily Duolingo lesson and building up my vocabulary. When it turned out that I will be moving to Spain for at least a couple of months, I really cracked down on my studies. Since October, it has been online courses, podcasts, grammar studies and a lot of patience. I want to really take advantage of those months I’ll spend in Spain to accelerate my language learning and to keep practising after I come back to eventually become fluent!

3. 12 Sketches
Yes, it really has gotten this bad that I need to make sketching a goal. I have barely drawn since A Level Art, which finished back in May, which is eight months ago now. I love art and being creative but I’ve lost the motivation to make time for it somewhere along the way. Perhaps A Level Art took it out of me and discouraged me from drawing, but it’s not an excuse anymore especially after so much time has passed. I’ve had my break, now let’s get back to it!

4. 12 Paintings
I mentioned this one in my last post! I have chosen this goal because I want to make sure I challenge myself artistically and to force myself to have a bit of variety in my art. I love working with just pencil or charcoal because paints take more effort to take out and set up before you even get to creating! Again though, that’s an excuse and I’m done being lazy!

5. 12 embroidery pieces
Same as above! Around this time a year ago I became really intrigued with embroidery art and I even did my entire final art project almost exclusively in embroidery art. I definitely want to keep developing this skill and 2019 is the year of no excuses!

6. 4 online courses
If you know me well, you know that I’m almost always in the middle of some online course. In fact, I’ve completed three online courses in 2018 (the first one I started alongside my A-Levels near the end of year 13,) and I’m not planning on slowing down! The courses that I’ve completed were so incredibly enriching and served as amazing conversation starters. (If you’re wondering what I use for online courses - always edx.org) “The Science of Learning” taught me some basic psychology and provided me with invaluable information about motivation, mindset and effective studying (and teaching) techniques. After completing this one, I started an “AP Spanish Language and Culture” course which was full of articles and short stories, littered with vocabulary I didn’t recognise - but I pushed through and I think this was a big breakthrough in my Spanish studies! Most recently, I finished a course on “Psychology of Personal Growth”, which was largely about cultural differences in terms of romantic emotions between Eastern and Western societies - it was strangely fascinating. So why would I stop doing online courses this year?

7. Complete reading list
Okay, I’ll admit, this one is pretty ambitious. My current reading list is almost 70 (yes, seven-zero) books long. I created it around the end of November and I’m on my fourth book - so yes, perhaps an extremely ambitious goal. The way I see it: even if I don’t complete this goal, I’ll still get through so many amazing books and that’s what matters!

8. Start learning sign language
This is more of a reminder than I goal, I think. The most important step is to start, and I already know I’ll probably leave this one until later on in the year, but it’s there, and it will get done eventually!

9. Learn how to drive
Similar to the above, the most important step is to start! Learning how to drive has been in the books for months, but somehow I still haven’t started. So, later this year, it’s happening.

10. Take up a sport
Everyone around me knows that I don’t enjoy exercise at all so this one might come as a shocker. I’ve been considering taking up a sport for a while, because (no matter how much I dislike exercise) I have to take care of my physical health more. I’m still figuring out what this sport will be exactly, but I’ll keep you updated.

11. Learn how to cook
September 2019 is bringing a whole new set of challenges into my life, because... I’m moving away for university. First time living away from my parents, having to fend for myself, and I still cannot cook edible food. Yes, at my big age. Thankfully, I still have 9 months, and I will make the most of this time to learn at least enough to survive.

12. Visit 12 new places
This year will be full of travels; Poland, Spain, Greece... I’m so grateful that I have so many opportunities to experience different places. This goal is to remind me to keep exploring - and you know, for a fact, that I will and that you are coming on these journeys with me.

My calendar for 2019 is full of amazing projects, travels and enormous changes to my life. I can’t wait for everything it has to offer and I know that my goals for the year will help me experience it to the fullest with no regrets.

If you made it this far, thank you so much for being here! I hope these give you a bit of inspiration to stick to your goals or come up with new ones you want to achieve.

Good luck with everything you pursue!
Love, Agnes xo

Comments

  1. Hi , I'm in Year 11 currently , unfortunately I don't not currently have an instagram account , but I had a couple of questions i wanted to ask after the assembly you gave , but i couldn't stay as i had to rush off. i was hoping if there was another way i could contact you to ask for your help as this would be really appreciated.Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I've just added a little "Contact me" section on the left hand side of my blog. Feel free to send any questions and messages my way! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts